Every year for the holidays I prepare a variety of scrumptious dishes. With so many tempting treats to choose from, the greens often get ignored. No longer!
Here’s a holiday salad that no one will overlook. It’s festive, fruity, fabulously delicious and good for you. Dressed up with kale, pomegranate seeds, walnuts and pears, who could ever pass on this one?
And it’s not just a pretty plate — it comes bearing the gift of great health! So don’t pass up putting this beauty on your table anytime, but especially during the holidays. It’s dressed for the occasion, don’t you think?
- 2 cups of greens per person. (I mixed kale with romaine and radicchio)
- 1 large pomegranate – seeded
- 1 large red pear – anjou or bartlett – julienned into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup walnuts (or more)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- Seasoned with salt and pepper
Make the dressing by placing the vinegar and pomegranate juice in a mixing bowl. Season and begin dripping the oil slowly, drop by drop, while whisking rapidly. This will emulsify the dressing, which helps it to stick to the greens. The other alternative is to add the ingredients (except oil) to the bowl of a food processor or blender and, with the blade spinning, add the oil slowly.
Toss the greens with a bit of the dressing by adding a tablespoon at a time until the greens have the amount of dressing you like — not too wet or too dry.
Top with the pear, pomegranate seeds and walnuts.
Take a photo. Something this pretty should be recorded!